3.13.2011

A letter to my California friends

Dear people who think rain is awesome (I'm speaking to you, Californians),

Once upon a time I loved the rain. I loved waking up in the morning to the sound of pitter-patter against the roof and windows. I loved being at work and watching the rain pour down, falling and glistening off trees and into puddles. I loved being home at night, watching a movie and eating popcorn while the rain pounded down outside -- while being all cuddly and warm inside my house.

Then I moved to Seattle.

There are certain things I love about the rain. But I've grown a strong loathing of rain as well.

For the past 7 months my life has consisted of:

  • Rain boots
  • Layers
  • Hoodies
  • Jackets
  • Windshield wipers
  • Warm drinks
  • Running from cars to buildings
  • Strategically placing umbrellas in multiple locations: car, work, house, purse.
  • And...more layers.
And after 7 months of (almost) consistent rain, I'm still surprised when I wake up in the morning and see rain. I'm not sure when the shock of this weather will wear off, or if it will at all. So, for all you Californians who "love the rain," I challenge you to spend 6 months in rainy Seattle, then restate that phrase. Until then, enjoy your beautiful sunshine, I'll enjoy my tanning salon.

Bitterly Yours,
Ange

2 comments:

Lailah said...

I enjoyed reading this. I've lived with the snow as well for the past 8 years. I've never liked anything other than the warmth & sunshine, with the occasional overcast beach weather & fog. To some this is boring, so I can see why you like/liked the rain. But after years of living in all kinds of weather I don't sympathize with those still fortunate enough to live in Ca who complain when the weather is anything but perfect.
You have to admit, having different kinds of weather definitely gives a place some personality. Whether this is good or bad is up to you. :)

Dennis Beckner said...

I did it for 9 months and never got tired of it. The awesomeness of Seattle is largely thanks to the rain.