1.08.2009

Packing Therapy

In my opinion, packing is therapeutic. While packing, so many things are going through our minds; nostalgic feelings when you find stuff you've forgotten about, wondering if you'll ever utilize something again and if you should toss it, and even processing the next stage in your life. Nobody ever packs without having a plan of what's next: a new house, a new cubicle, a new job, etc. I think as we pack we are forced to sift through these thoughts and process how we feel. A lot of times there are feelings of extreme joy or sadness that partners with packing up all our crap. I've packed hundreds of times in my life, and it's always fun to find stuff I forgot about.

What do I love most about packing? Throwing away stuff! I love finding something I know I will never use again, and it's absolutely pointless to keep it stored. For example: school books that I can sell for $0.50, knick knacks, that old plastic cup w/ a curly straw that you bought at a baseball game, old nametags from church events, old mix tapes, etc...

I think people who are pack rats get a bad rep...I think they're just really nostalgic people...

No comments: