9.22.2010

a bit of history.

I love history. I love reading about it. I love going to historical landmarks. And I love learning the "insiders view" from people who were around during major historical events.

I know that most historical events took place as a result of years of trial, error, heartache, and pain for the world. What I love about it is learning the history behind it, what led up to the breakthrough, then seeing the aftermath.

Yesterday I visited the location where JFK was shot and killed. I toured the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository (where Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK from the 6th story window), and the grassy knoll (where the first alleged shot was fired.) As I was reading through the museum, I texted my mom to tell here where I was, and she immediately responded, "That was our 9/11." Then I spent a considerable amount of time reading about the response the world gave when JFK was killed -- nations from all around the world stopped, payed tribute, and even mourned for our loss. My mom is right: is was their 9/11.

I hate that tragedy brings people together. But I love that tragedy brings people together. It's beautiful to see people put aside their differences and engage in the act of mourning and sadness for one another. I couldn't help but cry as I went to the JFK museum, it was amazing to hear all that happened after the assassination.

If you're ever in Dallas I highly recommend stopping by, it'll be worth it.

1 comment:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Hey you,
There are quite a few historical events that were not disasters...but we seem to recall the tragedies most often...
I love this blog and I'm really writing to tell you that some of the best history lessons I've learned came from historical fiction novels like James Michner's Hawaii and Chesapeake...if you love to read it's a double bonus to read and learn...
I hope all is well in your travels...