6.01.2010

Animal of the Week

This week's animal of the week is....(drumroll please)....is SLOTHS!
I don't know why, but I adore these creepy animals. First off, I never knew they existed until about a year ago. Second of all, this video makes me love them.

Meet the sloths from Amphibian Avenger on Vimeo.



Third, my brother did some sloth research and here's what he came up with:

sloth facts:
1. sloths are so slow that their coats grow algae.
2. dead sloths have been known to keep their grip on tree branches and hang when they have died, which means you might actually see a dead sloth in the wild and think it's alive
3. sloths sleep 15-20 hours a day
4. sloths can't do much when on land, they have to just drag themselves along with their front claws because they have no power in their back legs. thus why they are endangered
5. and the final fun super cute fact about sloths: in north eastern Peru, the local two toed sloths will climb into outdoor latrines, into the toilet and eat the feces it finds.

Also, they always look like they're smiling...which makes me believe they are happy happy happy animals.

See previous Animals of the Week here.

2 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

Your sloth post is excellent...I had no idea they were so much fun! (to read about, that is)
Hope all is well with you up in the Northwest...even tho I seldom comment I read you every day...
best regards...

Anonymous said...

I Don't know how to feel about these.....
-mer